Wednesday, June 3, 2009

A REPOST FROM THE NEWSLETTER

Well, it has been pretty busy lately, for me at least. Work, politics and my music all demand a lot of time, and I still have to remember to live my life, spend time with friends, and even clean my apartment. UGH! On the work front, well, that is a never-ending slog through the mud. While music is always enjoyable for me, there is the other side of it with planning & scheduling rehearsals & shows, schlepping equipment and set up & tear down time. It is usually worth it in the end though. Politics I will address at the end of this column.

I think I’m forgetting something? Hmmm? Oh yes, volunteerism. Didn’t our new president ask us to get involved on a regular basis in our communities? And then Barbara went and got us involved at Chipman School. I jumped right in at first, but then all of the planning meetings started conflicting with other things and I could not make them all. I really am more of a “hands-on do the thing” guy than a planning guy, to tell the truth. So last Saturday I was excited to get to actually do something at the school. I had another event in the morning and promised to be at the school by 1:30 pm. When I arrived, all of the work was finished and I just stood there with the tools I had brought thinking that I wished there were something left to do. I missed the boat. My point is that volunteerism can be something that you look forward to doing rather than just another entry on a long to do list. See my point? Kudos to those who showed up on Saturday!

Politics: First, I went to the candidate training held by the County Central Committee on Saturday past. Having been to other trainings of this type, I’d say they did a pretty good job of it. They will have another intro-training later in the year and a full blown “let’s learn to be a candidate” training also. I will forever pitch these trainings too you guys. Its good stuff! Really!

Secondly, I’ve been getting involved in a number of legislation tracking and promotion activities at the state level. A number of people from the County Central Committee, 16th AD delegates, club leadership and other activists have rallied behind Sandre Swanson and some of the legislation that he wants to get passed. The state party’s Progressive Caucus has a like effort selecting legislation in a number of key areas. I have volunteered (there’s that word again) to be the 16th AD liaison for this effort. If any of you want to be involved in either of these, or have pet legislation you’d like to see pass, let me know and I will get you involved. That would mean phoning, writing, and/or going to see electeds face to face.

To segue, there was a meeting last Monday night that again brought together a bunch of activists and party leadership. We have formed a new group called “Fix the Budget Now.org”. (There will be a website within days.) Our belief is that the largest problem with our state budget is that we are collecting revenue in an intelligent, effective, and fair way. We have concrete and detailed ideas on how sufficient revenue could be collected. Our aim is to lobby the governor, legislature republicans, and legislature democrats, taking a different angle with each, to convince them to begin to do their job by providing us with a sane, rational, and adult budgeting process. Pie in the sky you might say? This is a serious effort that has already begun.

This same group will continue on to making efforts to reform our elections processes, the 2/3’s requirement, the way we use bonds in the state, the initiative process, etc. We have already reached out to electeds and party leadership at all levels. I hope that each of you will decide to take part in these efforts. Just ask and I’ll tell how.

Lastly, I’ll be in Maryland at an old Navy buddy’s wedding next week, so I’ll see you all in July. Go Democrats!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment